Thursday 18 August 2011

John’s toys 2 – a vice!

John’s toys 2 – a vice!
If you are as much a fiddler and tinkerer as I am, there are times when you need to hold something really steady in order to work on it.
When I saw this little beastie in Lidl for under a tenner, I thought it would be useful for some of the work I was doing at the time, which it was. It’s a bit on the heavy side, so when we left on our travels I hummed and harred for a good while about whether to take it or to put it into storage.  Then yesterday I discovered that the shackle on the dinghy anchor chain needed replacing, and that it was rusted solid.  The only thing for it was to get the hacksaw out and cut it into two pieces, and doing that without a vice would have been difficult – although not impossible - so although it doesn’t score as highly as the petrol stove, I’m glad I brought the vice along.

No comments:

Post a Comment